Frequently Asked Questions
- Help! My question isn't covered in the FAQs!
- Please email us at email@example.com. We want to make sure everything on the site runs as smoothly as possible. Thanks for helping us do that.
Using Your Unglued Ebook
- What can I do, legally, with an unglued ebook? What can I not do?
- All unglued ebooks are released under a Creative Commons license. Unless otherwise indicated for specific books, we use the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives license (CC BY-NC-ND) license. The rights holder chooses which Creative Commons license to apply.
Creative Commons licenses mean that you can: make copies; keep them for as long as you like; shift them to other formats (like .mobi or PDF); share them with friends or on the internet; download them for free.
Under NC (non-commercial) licenses, you cannot: sell unglued ebooks, or otherwise use them commercially, without permission from the rights holder.
Under ND (no derivatives) licenses, you cannot: make derivative works, such as translations or movies, without permission from the rights holder;
Under all CC licenses (except CC0), you cannot: remove the author's name from the book, or otherwise pass it off as someone else's work; or remove or change the CC license.
- What does non-commercial mean under Creative Commons?
- Creative Commons doesn't define "commercial" thoroughly (though it's worth reading what they have to say on the topic). So as part of the Unglue.it process, ungluing rights holders agree that "For purposes of interpreting the CC License, Rights Holder agrees that 'non-commercial' use shall include, without limitation, distribution by a commercial entity without charge for access to the Work."
Unglue.it can't provide legal advice about how to interpret Creative Commons licenses, and we encourage you to read about the licenses yourself and, if necessary, seek qualified legal advice.
- Are the unglued ebooks compatible with my device? Do I need to own an ereader, like a Kindle or a Nook, to read them?
- Unglued ebooks are distributed with NO DRM, so they'll work on Kindle, iPad, Kobo, Nook, Android, Mac, Windows, Linux... you get the idea. Whether you have an ereader, a tablet, a desktop or laptop computer, or a smartphone, there are reading apps that work for you. Ebook editions issued through Unglue.it will be available in ePub format. If this format doesn't work for you, today or in the future, you are welcome to shift unglued books to one that does, and to copy and distribute it in that format.
- Do I need to have a library card to read an unglued ebook?
- No. (Though we hope you have a library card anyway!) While your library may make unglued ebooks available, they will be available from other sources as well.
- How long do I have to read my unglued book? When does it expire?
- It doesn't! You may keep it as long as you like. There's no need to return it, and it won't stop working after some deadline. You own it.
- I love my unglued ebook and I want to loan it to my friends. Can I?
- Yes! Because everything with a Creative Commons license is free to copy and share, you can copy your unglued ebook file and give it to anyone you want. You can all read and discuss it on GoodReads or LibraryThing at the same time. The rights holder has given you permission to spread the word to readers everywhere.
Just don't sell, adapt, or abridge it without checking the license. All unglued ebooks are licensed for noncommercial uses. Of course, you're welcome to still buy other editions -- paperbacks, hardcovers, or audio -- too.
- Will I be able to dowload an unglued ebook directly from Unglue.it?
- Unglue.it will provide links to places where you can find unglued and public domain ebooks (look at the book's page for specifics). We will not host them ourselves. We encourage you to look for them at bookstores, libraries, literary blogs, social reading sites, and all kinds of places people go to read and talk about books. You don't need our permission to host a free unglued ebook on your own site.