The Impact of Food Bioactives on Health: In Vitro and Ex Vivo Models
'Infogest' (Improving Health Properties of Food by Sharing our Knowledge on the Digestive Process) is an EU COST action/network in the domain of Food and Agriculture. Infogest aims at building an open international network of institutes undertaking multidisciplinary basic research on food digestion gathering scientists from different origins (including food scientists, gut physiologists and nutritionists). The network gathers 70 partners from academia, corresponding to a total of 29 countries. The three main scientific goals are: Identify the beneficial food components released in the gut during digestion; Support the effect of beneficial food components on human health; Promote harmonization of currently used digestion models Infogest meetings highlighted the need for a publication that would provide researchers with an insight into the advantages and disadvantages associated with the use of respective in vitro and ex vivo assays to evaluate the effects of foods and food bioactives on health. Such assays are particularly important in situations where a large number of foods/bioactives need to be screened rapidly and in a cost effective manner in order to ultimately identify lead foods/bioactives that can be the subject of in vivo assays. The book is an asset to researchers wishing to study the health benefits of their foods and food bioactives of interest and highlights which in vitro/ex vivo assays are of greatest relevance to their goals, what sort of outputs/data can be generated and, as noted above, highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the various assays. It is also an important resource for undergraduate students in the ‘food and health’ arena.
This book is included in DOAB.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
- 56 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at OAPEN Library.
- 36 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at OAPEN Library.
- 120 - mobi (CC BY-NC) at Unglue.it.
- 134 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at Unglue.it.
- 129 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Unglue.it.
- Human Physiology
- Biochemical engineering
- Biology, Life Sciences
- Business & management
- complex systems
- Ecological science, the Biosphere
- Economics, finance, business & management
- Ex vivo
- food bioactive
- Food Microbiology
- Food Science
- History of engineering & technology
- Human physiology
- in vitro
- Industry & industrial studies
- International Environmental law
- Life sciences: general issues
- Management & management techniques
- Management of specific areas
- Manufacturing industries
- Mathematics & science
- Microbiology (non-medical)
- Pharmaceutical industries
- Science, general
- Sustainable development
- Technology, engineering, agriculture
- Technology: general issues
- urban ecology