The war of the worlds
11 Ungluers have Faved this Work
Login to Fave
The War of the Worlds (1898) is a science fiction novel by H. G. Wells. It describes the experiences of an unnamed narrator who travels through the suburbs of London as England is invaded by Martians. It is one of the earliest stories that details a conflict between mankind and an alien race.The War of the Worlds is split into two parts, Book one: The Coming of the Martians, and Book two: The Earth under the Martians. The novel is narrated by a writer of philosophical articles who throughout the narrative struggles to reunite with his wife, while witnessing the Martians rampaging through the southern English counties. Part one also features the tale of his brother, who accompanies two women to the coast in the hope of escaping England as it is invaded.The plot has been related to invasion literature of the time. The novel has been variously interpreted as a commentary on evolutionary theory, British imperialism, and generally Victorian fears and prejudices. At the time of publication it was classified as a scientific romance, like his earlier novel The Time Machine. Since then, it has influenced much literature and other media, spawning half a dozen feature films, radio dramas, various comic book adaptations, a television series, and sequels or parallel stories by other authors. It also influenced the real-life work of scientists, notably the rocket scientist Robert H. Goddard.
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 2362 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 34 - mobi (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 54 - pdf (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 34 - epub (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 89 - mobi (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 71 - pdf (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 74 - epub (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 165 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 92 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 77 - mobi (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 81 - mobi (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 88 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 86 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 102 - mobi (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 111 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 108 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 102 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 178 - epub (None) at Google Books.
- 184 - pdf (None) at Google Books.
- 209 - mobi (CC0) at Internet Archive.
- 191 - epub (CC0) at Internet Archive.
- 232 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- Accessible book
- Children's literature, English
- Classic Literature
- English Science fiction
- Fiction in English
- Human-alien encounters
- Imaginary wars and battles
- Imaginary wars and battles -- Fiction
- Imaginary wars and battles in literature
- In library
- Juvenile Fiction
- Life on other planets -- Fiction
- Mars (Planet)
- Mars (Planet) -- Fiction
- Martians -- Fiction
- Protected DAISY
- Science Fiction
- Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Space vehicles
- Space warfare
- Space warfare -- Fiction
- War stories
Copy/paste this into your site: