Strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
6 Ungluers have Faved this Work
Login to Fave
This small novella tells the tale of two impossibly intertwined gentlemen living in Victorian London---the friendly and sociable Dr Jekyll, and the monstrously deformed, obviously dangerous Mr Hyde. As Mr Hyde's crimes gain the attention of the police, the manhunt is on; but every lead on Hyde consistently leads back to Jekyll instead. When the darker truth of Hyde's identity becomes clear to all, that the monstrous predator of London's industrial-fog enshrouded streets is none other than Jekyll himself, transformed by a tincture of his own making, he sets forth to destroy himself and bring down Hyde with him. Allegedly written within a single week under the influence of cocaine, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is one of Scottish prose-poet Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous and influential works. It has been remade and adapted into numerous other mediums, including film, television, stage performance, and graphic novel; endlessly quoted in a host of derivative works, speeches, and religious sermons; it even served as the foundation of Freudian psychology and the inspiration for Freud's allegorical tale, The Beast Within. It is widely considered to be the quintessential tale on the duality of the individual, and the danger of suppressing humanity's baser instincts for the outward appearance of morality.
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 1329 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 28 - pdf (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 21 - epub (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 16 - mobi (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 72 - pdf (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 48 - epub (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 54 - mobi (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 73 - mobi (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 117 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 85 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 65 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 65 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 63 - mobi (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 77 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 75 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 67 - mobi (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 271 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- Accessible book
- Children's literature, English
- Classic Literature
- Conduct of life
- Conduct of life in fiction
- England in fiction
- English fiction
- History and criticism
- Horror fiction
- Horror stories
- Horror tales
- In library
- Juvenile Fiction
- London (England)
- London (England) -- Fiction
- Multiple personality
- Multiple personality -- Fiction
- Multiple personality in fiction
- Mystery and detective stories
- Physicians -- Fiction
- Physicians in fiction
- Protected DAISY
- Psychological fiction
- Science Fiction
- Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Scottish Horror tales
- Self-experimentation in medicine
- Self-experimentation in medicine -- Fiction
- Self-experimentation in medicine in fiction
- Social conditions
- Supernatural in fiction
Copy/paste this into your site: