"The time will come when she will be ranked above Hemingway." --Leon Edel In this powerful portrait of the self-making of an artist, Willa Cather created one of her most extraordinary heroines. Thea Kronborg, a minister's daughter in a provincial Colorado town, seems destined from childhood for a place in the wider world. But as her path to the world stage leads her ever farther from the humble town she can't forget and from the man she can't afford to love, Thea learns that her exceptional musical talent and fierce ambition are not enough. It is in the solitude of a tiny rock chamber high in the side of an Arizona cliff--"a cleft in the heart of the world"--that Thea comes face to face with her own dreams and desires, stripped clean by the haunting purity of the ruined cliff dwellings and inspired by the whisperings of their ancient dust. Here she finds the courage to seize her future and to use her gifts to catch "the shining, elusive element that is life itself--life hurrying past us and running away, too strong to stop, too sweet to lose." In prose as shimmering and piercingly true as the light in a desert canyon, Cather takes us into the heart of a woman coming to know her deepest self.
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 344 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 18 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 26 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 12 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 16 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 22 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 30 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 41 - mobi (PD-US) at Github.
- 50 - pdf (PD-US) at Github.
- 50 - epub (PD-US) at Github.
- 79 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- Accessible book
- Chicago (Ill.) -- Fiction
- Children of clergy
- Children of clergy -- Fiction
- Children's literature, English
- Classic Literature
- Colorado -- Fiction
- In library
- Large type books
- Musical fiction
- Opera -- Fiction
- Protected DAISY
- Swedish Americans
- Swedish Americans -- Fiction
- Women singers
- Women singers -- Fiction
- Young women
- Young women -- Fiction
Copy/paste this into your site: