When Baroness Emmuska Orczy wrote The Scarlet Pimpernel (1905), little did she know she was creating the super hero genre. Who is the elusive and mysterious Scarlet Pimpernel? A master of clever disguises, stealth and elegant escapes -- skills that he uses to rescue doomed French aristocrats from the guillotine during the French Revolution's Reign of Terror. His signature -- a tiny scarlet flower. The Pimpernel's true identity is unknown except to a small group of co-conspirators who work with him and together comprise the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel. Not even his wife, the beautiful Lady Marguerite Blakeney, knows that the man she is married to, an effete fop and dull-witted British dandy Sir Percy Blakeney, is a secret hero who risks his life on a daily basis in order to save countless others. A vibrant adventure awaits the reader -- heart-pounding narrow escapes, clever repartee and dashing wit, true love thwarted and redeemed, a relentless agent of the French Republican Government who makes it his personal goal to capture and destroy the Scarlet Pimpernel, and of course Percy's immortal "bon mot" that makes the social rounds in England and France: "We seek him here, we seek him there, Those Frenchies seek him everywhere. Is he in heaven? -- Is he in hell? That demmed, elusive Pimpernel." Book One of "The Scarlet Pimpernel Series"
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 389 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 34 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 16 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 24 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 40 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 24 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 27 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 53 - pdf (PD-US) at Github.
- 45 - epub (PD-US) at Github.
- 43 - mobi (PD-US) at Github.
- 83 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- Accessible book
- Adventure and adventurers
- Adventure stories
- Blakeney, Percy, Sir (Fictitious character) -- Fiction
- British -- France -- Fiction
- Children's literature, English
- Classic Literature
- English language
- France -- History -- Revolution, 1789-1799 -- Fiction
- Historical fiction
- In library
- Juvenile Fiction
- Large type books
- Nobility -- Fiction
- Protected DAISY
- Sir Blakeney, Percy (Fictitious character)
- Text-books for foreigners
Copy/paste this into your site: