Jude the obscure
1 Ungluer has Faved this Work
Login to Fave
Hardy's last and most controversial novel, Jude the Obscure caused much outrage when it was published in 1895. Jude Fawley, poor and working-class, longs to study at the University of Christminster, but his ambitions to go to university are thwarted by class prejudice and his entrapment in a loveless marriage. He falls in love with his unconventional cousin, Sue Bridehead, and their refusal to marry when free to do so confirms their rejection of and by the world around them. The shocking fate that overtakes them is an indictment of a rigid and uncaring society. This is the first truly critical edition, taking account of the changes that Hardy made over twenty-five years. Hardy's last, and most controversial novel, this revised edition has the first truly critical text, a new chronology and bibliography, and substantially revised notes. About the Series: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the broadest spectrum of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, voluminous notes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 1581 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 58 - pdf (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 80 - epub (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 85 - mobi (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 78 - epub (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 66 - mobi (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 91 - pdf (0.2) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 99 - mobi (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 88 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 86 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 75 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 69 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 82 - mobi (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 89 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 94 - mobi (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 84 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 88 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 127 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- 142 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- Accessible book
- Adultery -- Fiction
- Children -- Death -- Fiction
- Didactic fiction
- Illegitimate children
- Illegitimate children -- Fiction
- In library
- Love stories
- Man-woman relationships
- Protected DAISY
- Social conditions
- Social life and customs
- Stonemasons -- Fiction
- Umarried couples
- Unmarried couples
- Unmarried couples -- Fiction
- Wessex (England) -- Fiction
Copy/paste this into your site: