The turn of the screw and other short novels
1 Ungluer has Faved this Work
Login to Fave
- The story had held us, round the fire, sufficiently breathless, but except the obvious remark that it was gruesome, as, on Christmas Eve in an old house, a strange tale should essentially be, I remember no comment uttered till somebody happened to say that it was the only case he had met in which such a visitation had fallen on a child. The case, I may mention, was that of an apparition in just such an old house as had gathered us for the occasion - an appearance, of a dreadful kind, to a little boy sleeping in the room with his mother and waking her up in the terror of it; waking her not to dissipate his dread and soothe him to sleep again, but to encounter also, herself, before she had succeeded in doing so, the same sight that had shaken him. It was this observation that drew from Douglas - not immediately, but later in the evening - a reply that had the interesting consequence to which I call attention. Someone else told a story not particu-larly effective, which I saw he was not following. This I took for a sign that he had himself something to produce and that we should only have to wait. We waited in fact till two nights later; but that same evening, before we scattered, he brought out what was in his mind.
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 624 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 40 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 57 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 31 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 46 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 69 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 39 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 82 - mobi (PD-US) at Github.
- 80 - pdf (PD-US) at Github.
- 69 - epub (PD-US) at Github.
- 111 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- Accessible book
- Business Men's Art Club of Chicago
- Business Men's Art Club of New York
- Business Men's Art Club of San Francisco
- Children -- Fiction
- Children in fiction
- Children's literature, English
- Cost and standard of living
- Cost of Medical care
- England -- Fiction
- England in fiction
- English language
- Fathers and daughters
- Ghost stories
- Governesses -- Fiction
- Governesses in fiction
- Governesses in literature
- In library
- Medical statistics
- Occupational mortality
- Pacific Coast Borax Company
- Protected DAISY
- Psychological fiction
- Purchasing power
- Romance Norte Americano
- Textbooks for foreign speakers
- United States
- United States. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Young women
Copy/paste this into your site: