Heart of Darkness follows the story of Charlie Marlow's time working on the Congo River. In his attempts to aid Mr. Kurtz, the chief of the Inner Station, Marlow is confronted with the cruel realities of European imperialism in Africa. This Norton Critical Edition is based on the 1902 English first book publication. The text comes paired with explanatory footnotes, illustrations and photographs, and an introduction by the editor. "Backgrounds and Contexts" explores the wide range of historical attitudes that influenced the text, including essays on imperialism and the Congo, Nineteenth-Century Attitudes Toward Race, Conrad in the Congo, and The Author on Art and Literature. "Criticism" examines a wide range of critical responses to the novella, which span from Conrad's peers up until the twenty-first century. Essays from Chinua Achebe, Jeremy Hawthorn, Hunt Hawkins, Ian Watts, J. Hillis Miller, and others have been carried over from the previous edition. These classic essays are further supported by new material from Benita Parry, Susan Jones, Richard J. Ruppel, Adriana Cavarero, Jeffrey Mathes McCarthy, Urmila Seshagirl, and Nidesh Lawtoo. The collection of essays on film adaptations of the novella has been completely revised to include essays by Robert L. Carringer, Seymour Chatman, and Pamela Demory. A Chronology and revised Selected Bibliography are also included. - Publisher.
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 2172 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 103 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 73 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 272 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 200 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 512 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 203 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 319 - pdf (PD-US) at Github.
- 121 - epub (PD-US) at Github.
- 96 - mobi (PD-US) at Github.
- 273 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- 20th century
- Accessible book
- Africa -- Fiction
- Classic Literature
- Conrad, Joseph, 1857-1924. Heart of darkness
- Degeneration -- fiction
- Description and travel
- Discovery and exploration
- English literature
- English Psychological fiction
- Europeans -- Africa -- Fiction
- Fugitives from justice
- Heart of darkness (Conrad)
- History and criticism
- Imperialism -- Fiction
- In library
- Large type books
- LITERATURA INGLESA (HISTÓRIA E CRÍTICA)
- Long Now Manual for Civilization
- Open Library Staff Picks
- Popular Print Disabled Books
- Protected DAISY
- Psychological fiction
- Ship captains
- Short stories
- Social conditions
- Trading posts
- Trading posts -- Fiction
Copy/paste this into your site: