The first novel written by the author of "Jane Eyre," "The Professor" is a story about the life of the resilient William Crimsworth. An English orphan raised by coldly aristocratic uncles, he rejects a life as a clergyman to work in his brother's mill in Yorkshire. Treated abominably in his tedious clerkship, Crimsworth escapes to Belgium and begins teaching in a boys' school. There he eventually meets the headmistress of a neighboring girls' school, Zoraide Reuter, as well as one of the teachers in the girls' school, Francis Henri. Narrated from a convincing male perspective, Bronte exercised her skill as a writer in telling a tale based on her own experiences as a student in Brussels, challenging many of the assumptions of Victorian society in the process. Crimsworth matures, finds a fulfilling profession, and discovers love in this significant commencement to Charlotte Bronte's literary career.
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 595 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 34 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 40 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 35 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 47 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 46 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 53 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 71 - pdf (PD-US) at Github.
- 65 - epub (PD-US) at Github.
- 70 - mobi (PD-US) at Github.
- 134 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- Accessible book
- Belgium -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Fiction
- British -- Belgium -- Fiction
- British in fiction
- Brussels (Belgium) -- Fiction
- Large type books
- Love stories
- Triangles (Interpersonal relations)
- Triangles (Interpersonal relations) -- Fiction
- Women teachers
- Women teachers -- Fiction
- Women teachers in fiction
Copy/paste this into your site: