The novel that set the pattern for the modern Western, Riders of the Purple Sage was first published in 1912, immediately selling over a million copies. In the remote border country of southern Utah, a man is about to be whipped by the Mormons in order to pressure Jane Withersteen into marrying against her will. The punishment is halted by the arrival of the hero, Lassiter, a gunman in black leather, who routs the persecutors and then gradually recounts his own history of an endless search for a woman abducted long ago by the Mormons. Secrecy, seduction, captivity, and escape: out of these elements Zane Grey fashioned his magnificent classic of the American West. About the Series: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the broadest spectrum of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, voluminous notes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 1781 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 137 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 197 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 145 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 142 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 144 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 124 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 182 - pdf (PD-US) at Github.
- 167 - epub (PD-US) at Github.
- 175 - mobi (PD-US) at Github.
- 368 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- Adventure and adventurers
- Classic Literature
- Fiction in English
- Lassiter (Fictitious character)
- Mormon women
- Mormon women -- Fiction
- Polygamy -- Fiction
- Social conditions
- Utah -- Fiction
- Western stories
- Women ranchers
- Women ranchers -- Fiction
Copy/paste this into your site: