Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare
0 Ungluers have Faved this Work
Login to Fave
- The writings of Shakespeare have been justly termed "the richest, the purest, the fairest, that genius uninspired ever penned." Shakespeare instructed by delighting. His plays alone (leaving mere science out of the question), contain more actual wisdom than the whole body of English learning. He is the teacher of all good - pity, generosity, true courage, love. His bright wit is cut out "into little stars." His solid masses of knowledge are meted out in morsels and proverbs, and thus distributed, there is scarcely a corner of the English-speaking world to-day which he does not illuminate, or a cottage which he does not enrich. His bounty is like the sea, which, though often unacknowledged, is everywhere felt. As his friend, Ben Jonson, wrote of him, "He was not of an age but for all time." He ever kept the highroad of human life whereon all travel. He did not pick out by-paths of feeling and sentiment. In his creations we have no moral highwaymen, sentimental thieves, interesting villains, and amiable, elegant adventuresses - no delicate entanglements of situation, in which the grossest images are presented to the mind disguised under the superficial attraction of style and sentiment.
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 445 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 12 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 13 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 11 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 31 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 24 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 19 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 44 - mobi (PD-US) at Github.
- 55 - pdf (PD-US) at Github.
- 48 - epub (PD-US) at Github.
- 96 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- 92 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- Children's literature
- Children's literature, English
- Juvenile literature
- Stories, plots
Copy/paste this into your site: