0 Ungluers have Faved this Work
Login to Fave
Eminent Victorians is a groundbreaking work of biography that raised the genre to the level of high art. It replaced reverence with skepticism and Strachey's wit, iconoclasm, and narrative skill liberated the biographical enterprise. His portraits of Cardinal Manning, Florence Nightingale, Thomas Arnold, and General Gordon changed perceptions of the Victorians for a generation. Lytton Strachey's biographical essays on four "eminent Victorians" dropped an explosive charge on Victorian England when the book was published in 1918. It ushered in the modern biography and raised the genre to the level of high literary art. Strachey approached his subjects with skepticism rather than reverence, and his iconoclastic wit and engaging narratives thrilled as well as shocked his contemporaries. Debunking Church, Public School and Empire, his portraits of Cardinal Manning, Florence Nightingale, Dr. Arnold of Rugby, and General Gordon of Khartoum changed perceptions of the Victorians for a generation. This edition is unique in being fully annotated and in drawing on the full range of Strachey's manuscript materials and literary remains.
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 874 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 95 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 88 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 54 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 156 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 46 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 40 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 58 - mobi (PD-US) at Github.
- 146 - pdf (PD-US) at Github.
- 95 - epub (PD-US) at Github.
- 96 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- Accessible book
- Arnold, Thomas, 1795-1842
- Gordon, Charles George, 1833-1885
- Great Britain -- Biography
- Great Britain -- History -- Victoria, 1837-1901 -- Biography
- In library
- Literary Criticism
- Manning, Henry Edward, 1808-1892
- Nightingale, Florence, 1820-1910
- Protected DAISY
- Social conditions
Copy/paste this into your site: