A Study in Scarlet
A Study in Scarlet is an 1887 detective novel by British author Arthur Conan Doyle. Written in 1886, the story marks the first appearance of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, who would become among the most famous characters in literature. The book's title derives from a speech given by Holmes, an amateur detective, to his friend and chronicler Watson on the nature of his work, in which he describes the story's murder investigation as his "study in scarlet": "There's the scarlet thread of murder running through the colourless skein of life, and our duty is to unravel it, and isolate it, and expose every inch of it." (A "study" is a preliminary drawing, sketch or painting done in preparation for a finished piece.)
The story, and its main characters, attracted little public interest when it first appeared. Only 11 complete copies of the magazine in which the story first appeared,Beeton's Christmas Annual for 1887, are known to exist now and they have considerable value. Although Conan Doyle wrote 56 short stories featuring Holmes,A Study in Scarlet is one of only four full-length novels in the original canon. The novel was followed by The Sign of the Four, published in 1890. A Study in Scarletwas the first work of detective fiction to incorporate the magnifying glass as an investigative tool.
Summary from Wikipedia
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
- 536 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 164 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 126 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 127 - mobi (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 496 - pdf (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 225 - epub (0.2) (PD-US) at Github.
- 184 - pdf (PD-US) at Github.
- 154 - epub (PD-US) at Github.
- 147 - mobi (PD-US) at Github.
- 273 - pdf (PD-US) at Internet Archive.
- 264 - mobi (PD-US) at Internet Archive.
- 219 - epub (PD-US) at Internet Archive.
- 199 - epub (PD-US) at Internet Archive.
- 340 - pdf (None) at Google Books.
- 280 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- Children's literature, English
- Detective and mystery stories
- England -- Fiction
- English Authors
- Fiction / Mystery & Detective
- Fiction / Mystery & Detective / Traditional British
- Holmes, Sherlock (Fictitious character) -- Fiction
- Private investigators -- England -- Fiction
- Sherlock Holmes (Fictitious character)