The Picture of Dorian Gray
23 Ungluers have Faved this Work
Login to Fave
The Picture of Dorian Gray is the only published novel by Oscar Wilde, appearing as the lead story in Lippincott's Monthly Magazine on 20 June 1890, printed as the July 1890 issue of this magazine. The magazine's editors feared the story was indecent as submitted, so they censored roughly 500 words, without Wilde's knowledge, before publication. But even with that, the story was still greeted with outrage by British reviewers, some of whom suggested that Wilde should be prosecuted on moral grounds, leading Wilde to defend the novel aggressively in letters to the British press. Wilde later revised the story for book publication, making substantial alterations, deleting controversial passages, adding new chapters, and including an aphoristic Preface that has since become famous in its own right.
This book is included in Project Gutenberg.
Why read this book? Have your say.
You must be logged in to comment.
Rights InformationAre you the author or publisher of this work? If so, you can claim it as yours by registering as an Unglue.it rights holder.
This work has been downloaded 851 times via unglue.it ebook links.
- 74 - pdf (0.1) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 23 - mobi (0.1) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 32 - epub (0.1) (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 66 - pdf (PD-US) at Github.
- 51 - epub (PD-US) at Github.
- 46 - mobi (PD-US) at Github.
- 53 - pdf (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 45 - epub (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 45 - mobi (CC BY-NC) at Github.
- 202 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- 214 - epub (PD-US) at Project Gutenberg.
- 20th century
- Appearance (Philosophy) -- Fiction
- Conduct of life -- Fiction
- Didactic fiction
- Great Britain -- History -- Victoria, 1837-1901 -- Fiction
- London (England) -- History -- 1800-1950 -- Fiction
- Paranormal fiction
- Portraits -- Fiction
- Supernatural -- Fiction
Copy/paste this into your site: